Sad part about is, I offered them $150.00 over 2 months ago, the person on the phone said it was his sons radio and he would have to check with him about my offer, never heard back from them, Now I have lost interest in the radio! Etsy uses cookies and similar technologies to give you a better experience, enabling things like: Detailed information can be found in Etsys Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy and our Privacy Policy. After his military service, Miller returned to Hillsboro, Oregon, and worked for Meltebeke's Furniture repairing TV's and appliances. Under AC operation, the filament output from the power supply is 6.3 volts, fine for the six-volt tubes but too much for the 1J6. This scheme holds true for radios built through 1942, when Zenith halted civilian radio production to enter the war effort. The large gray and blue components near the center of the photo are the new filter capacitors. ZENITH FERNFUNK LANDWIRTSCHAFT in groer Auswahl Vergleichen Angebote und Preise Online kaufen bei eBay Kostenlose Lieferung fr viele Artikel! Zenith did not produce radios for the general public again until . This radio uses a rubber drive belt instead of a string. Manufactured by Zenith/Herman Miller. The grille cloth is a reproduction of the original pattern. Plays loud and clear as it should. This is an extremely rare 1938 Zenith model 15U271. Research 1938 Zenith "Walton" 9-s-232 Shutter Dial Tombstone Art Deco Radio 1938 Zenith "WALTON" 12-S-232 Shutter Dial Tombstone Art Deco Radio 1938 Zenith For Sale on 1stDibs At 1stDibs, there are many versions of the ideal 1938 zenith for your home. On my radio, the little rubber drive belt was shot. Entdecke 1938 n. All the paper foil capacitors were replaced too. Model 6-J-230 dates from 1938 and is typical of many radios of that era. uses this model numbering system and it has a suffix Chr. This is typical for a 1930s radio. The brand says the new spring is more durable and resistant to magnetic fields. .No motor or tuning eye, but it has push-pull audio and runs on a 6 volt battery. If you are looking for a cabinet and chassis, number match this radio has it. and they work just as well as square ones. To enable personalized advertising (like interest-based ads), we may share your data with our marketing and advertising partners using cookies and other technologies. The metal box atop the chassis has a switch on its back to select AC or DC operation. It is my belief that the year used to date The styling sometimes reminds me of this old TV show. The 10S130 is a much better looking radio, IMO. I don't think I'd pay 1/2 the asking price. In the following rear view, look at the big box on the right side of the chassis. The bass from this console is unreal. 15.18, 17.86 Way, way, way overpriced in my opinion. At this point, the set played for the first time, but very poorly. And this is one of the 5. The dial perimeter is marked in gradations from 1 to 60, allowing you to record very fine tuning positions. The second segment of the model number revels Light and speaker functioning. 12 in this case, 11 on the chassis plus an "eye" tube. Great display and talking piece. Perhaps this spring-loaded gizmo would have been easy to disassemble and reassemble, or perhaps it would have exploded in a shower of tiny parts all over my workshop floor, never to be put right. The fragile pointers seemed to be held on by friction and they were on very tight. . This radio has the fabulous Robot Shutter Dial with a green tuning eye. I bought the Zenith it in December of 2012, after finding it on Craigslist. I'd not only give him his price in a heartbeat, but add another hundred to have it shipped across country. This is my 1938 Zenith 12S266 Shutterdial console radio. The two trailing digits of the model number describe Cabinet: The book matched walnut veneered cabinet is beautifully finished with a near flawless lacquer finish. The controls are quite simple. Price: $12.00. Radio must be picked up in Cleveland. The tuner on this radio is well engineered and quite interesting. Its rubber had dried with age, allowing the fabric layers to separate and detach from one another. 3 bands including broadcast, shortwave and police Radio production kept rising and America's love for style and form had manufacturers continuing to upgrade products. It needs restoring as you can see, but the veneer is perfect, speaker is great and most of the dials are great. Turning off the personalized advertising setting wont stop you from seeing Etsy ads or impact Etsy's own personalization technologies, but it may make the ads you see less relevant or more repetitive. The stamp on the wood at the top back is there, but it can be seen faintly. Number 2 shows the signal ("hot") lead of the generator connected to the grid lead of the 6D8 tube. k42: ivory: $12.00: k42-divided: ivory: $12.00: k42b: black: $12.00: It seems as though there are two types of knobs used on these radios that look the same but have different dimensions for the hole. Youll see ad results based on factors like relevancy, and the amount sellers pay per click. (That is, the dial pointer did not always point exactly to the station being tuned.) Powered bySquarespace. 6V027), this however (20% off), Sale Price 944.60 Content is for presentation purposes only. The new owners were happy to have it. On the other hand, the radio didn't perform to its original specifications until we added that part. Find out more in our Cookies & Similar Technologies Policy. Instead, they get rubber stock of the right diameter, cut it to the right length, wind the length around the pulleys, then super-glue the cut ends together. three digit number the radio was built in later Sellers looking to grow their business and reach more interested buyers can use Etsys advertising platform to promote their items. The next photo shows the second pulley underneath the chassis. to discuss in this article. Zenith made four different chassis to fit into this style cabinet (7J232, 7S232, 9S232 & 12S232). This isn't absolutely necessary if you have a good signal generator, but my generator is as old as many of the radios that I own and its dial is not very accurate. Contrasting with the black dial face is the gold-colored tuner pointer. Zenith 12S267 1938 What a console! This is a 1938 Zenith 12 tube model 12S265, Zeniths most famous and collectible year. Take full advantage of our site features by enabling JavaScript. It is, part of the 1938 Zenith lineup that featured many other radios that used the unique Robot dial, as part of Zeniths 1938 line in June 1937, is a much-coveted set that is rare and hard to find today, 1938 line only. This is a Zenith 1938 Model 7-S-232, a 7 tube "Walton". Technical Specifications Number of Tubes 9 Connected in parallel with the radio's speaker leads. . I found this radio in a small antique shop in El Paso TX behind 2 china cabinets and a pool table. THE RADIO WORKS. Pleasant waterfall cabinet and tear-drop dial that was only used for 1938. Etsys 100% renewable electricity commitment includes the electricity used by the data centers that host Etsy.com, the Sell on Etsy app, and the Etsy app, as well as the electricity that powers Etsys global offices and employees working remotely from home in the US. The split-second pointer moves more rapidly than the main tuner, making one circuit of the entire dial when the main pointer moves about half an inch. The large black dial is in very nice shape. In 1938 Zenith released several models of 12-tube table radios with what Zenith referred to as their "Robot Dial." The Zenith robot dial was equipped with a tuning eye tube that indicated signal strength of a station and in several models the dials were motorized. 1938-1942 Prewar Portables and Wood Sets. For most adjustments, you simply turn the screw while watching the tester's readout, aiming for maximum output. The suffixes included: Zenith 3-bands, Broadcast (AM), and 2 shortwave. Another Chicago garage find where someone needed room and wanted it gone. This 1938 Zenith chairside model 6S249 radio is completely electronically restored and plays great. A new AC power cord has been installed for safety. Go for it. Great deal. Before risking that, I decided to seek expert advice. The following photo shows the radio after I completed its restoration. To my delight, the belt worked perfectly! the chassis type and the power requirements. I used a very soft brush to brush out accumulated dust, then sprayed the cloth lightly with clear water and placed it face down on a sheet of cardboard to dry. The radio is sensitive enough to get the local stations just fine. 1,023.32, 1,279.15 25 tube Stratosphere, first produced in Charles Eames studies architecture at the Washington, At 1stDibs, there are many versions of the ideal 1938 zenith for your home. 1938 Zenith model 6S229. Although there was nothing unusually hard or time-consuming about the cosmetic work, the electronics took more time than I had expected. This is a 1938 Zenith 7 tube Walton model 7S232, Zenith's most famous and collectable year. Page 1: Portable and Wood Table Radios 1938-1942 PORTABLE AND WOOD CABINET TABLE RADIOS, Page 2: Rise of Plastic Radios 1938-1942 PLASTIC CABINET RADIOS, Page 3: Battery or Farm Radios 1938-1942 FARM RADIOS, Page 4: Magic Eye Tuning Radios 1938-1942 MAGIC EYE RADIOS, Page 5: Me Restoring a Sentinel 243T Farm Radio RESTORING SENTINEL 243T FARM RADIO, -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------. The shutters open nicely. (15% off), Sale Price 1,023.32 Those partners may have their own information theyve collected about you. Some of the technologies we use are necessary for critical functions like security and site integrity, account authentication, security and privacy preferences, internal site usage and maintenance data, and to make the site work correctly for browsing and transactions. . Little force is needed to spin the large dial pointers and the tuning is quite precise. Unless you know what you're doing, randomly tampering with these delicate adjustments will likely mess up your radio in a serious way, requiring an embarrassing trip to an expert repairman. Do not use the add to cart feature. Zenith quickly became known as an innovator. I was offered a similar one for $2300 earlier this year and had to laugh. He constructed ornamental railings and, smaller numbers, and are more difficult to find today. The next step was to carefully split the rubber in half along its entire length. The spring counterbalances the weight of the tuning capacitor as the plates rise up, allowing you to accurately rest the tuner at any position. The cabinet paper tag has the model 15U270 crossed out in pencil and hand writhen 271. 14.17, 16.67 The dial belt was replaced for smooth tuning. A second, red, "split second" pointer is used for logging shortwave stations. The paper serial number tag on the bottom of the cabinet is there as well. Sure. Cord replaced. One of the most, the life and spirit of the Jazz Age, which emerged after the First World War and found its zenith in, Out of an outstanding collection of period art deco radios is this 1938 Zenith 6S238 Wooden Chair, 1938 Zenith WALTON 12-S-232 Shutter Dial Tombstone Art Deco Radio in pristine restored condition, 1938 Zenith Walton 9-S-232 Shutter Dial Tombstone Art Deco Radio in pristine restored condition, 1938 Zenith Model 6-D-219 table top Tube Radio Bluetooth cosmetically and electronically restored, This is a 1938 Zenith 9 tube model 9S244, Zeniths most famous and collectible year. The next photo shows how the cabinet was masked with newspaper prior to applying the new finish. letter designations that were used to describe Antique Vintage 1938 Zenith Tombstone Radio Model 5S228 $83.03 11 bids $72.58 shipping 5d 14h classic ZENITH Trans-Oceanic Royal 3000-1 SHORTWAVE Radio World-Band RECEIVER $24.95 0 bids $28.02 shipping 4d 22h or Best Offer *AS-IS* Vintage Zenith Royal 300 Transistor Radio Black USA *No Power* $15.00 0 bids $12.45 shipping 6d 17h It was kind of hard to let it go but the money was too good. A final alignment was in order, particularly since I had already changed the alignment earlier. Even if it plays, it undoubtedly needs some repair before you put it into regular service. Content is for presentation purposes only. This tuning system is not only reliable, but also very accurate. their range, the higher the position in that years Incidentally, here is a case in which careful notes might have led me to these "hidden" capacitors sooner. Store Radio Knobs Zenith Zenith 1938 - 1940 Knob. Many of the digit number (IE. In this case, however, the radio's performance was quite poor, as mentioned earlier. numbering scheme. The chassis is clean and rust free. 6 Dry Cell Comes to Life Again, Restoring a 19" Portable 1960 Hoffman K1919 Television, Restore Tuning Dial for Zenith N723 Radio, Page 2: The Rise of Radio Engineering 1920-29, Page 3: The Rise of Radio Engineering 1920-29, Televisions- 1946-1999 The Great Electronic Culture Change of the 20th Century, Page 2: Solid State Picture Tube Television, Page 3: Televisions- The Sony Portable CRT Watchman 1982-1994, Page 4: Televisions- The LCD or Flat Screen TV- Real Portability, Page 4 The Rise in Radio Engineering 1920-1929, Japanese (Made in Japan) Imports- Transistor Radios 1959-1960's, USA Brand Transistor Radios 1959-1960's Page 2, Tungar Items, Recording Electronics, Vintage Light Bulbs and Small Home Electric Devices, Military and Special Purpose Tubes Part 2- NON RADAR, Military and Special Purpose Vacuum Tubes Part 1- Non RADAR Applications, Military and Special Purpose Vacuum Tubes- RADAR Applications, Vintage Communication Receivers, Transmitters and Transceivers, Restoring 1937 Troy Radio 59PC Phono Radio Set, Restoring a 1949 General Electric 806 Table Model Television, Restoring a 1949 General Electric 806- NOV 2018, Videos on Dead Tech Electronics History and Restoration, Vintage Electronic Measurement and Test Equipment. year (1996). on. Put the radio right next to your favorite chair, relax and enjoy! My wife and son drove the 70 miles in fog so thick you couldn't see the front of your vehicle to be the first ones at the estate sale and got it. our example of the 12S232, the radio was built He joined a fledging Beaverton electronics company, Tektronix, in 1951 as its 351st employee. When all the color work was done, I sprayed on two final coats of clear lacquer, lightly buffing the last coat with #0000 steel wool to achieve a satin finish that doesn't look "too new.". Why would a radio designer do this? It is a striking radio from top to bottom. Antique gift. cost of the radio. The 15 tube 'Robot-Dial' console in a walnut finish is the more common version of this cabinet style. Providing accurate tuning via the main tuner obviates the need for a separate bandspread tuner, as found in "boatanchor" shortwave sets such as my Hallicrafters SX-42. Given the model number, a repairman We moved the pool table and cabinets and placed it in my van. Second and equally important; Zenith Here is Walter's comment on that point: Now that we have added an extra resistor, can this radio be considered "stock" or "original?" The front and sides of the cabinet appears to be covered with finely grained veneer, but the "veneer" is actually a photographic decal of a wood pattern. I. If I ever sell the radio, I'll replace the battery cables with new ones of the right length. Two important points need to be covered for a 1938 Zenith short wave radio classic antique model 6-J-257 Ad vertisement by Jasona5150. Cookies and similar technologies are used to improve your experience, to do things like: Without these technologies, things like personalized recommendations, your account preferences, or localisation may not work correctly. in its range (00-39) indicating a rather expensive Introduced in June of 1937 for the 1838 model year. This article will deal with the "Big Black Zenith 12S265 Console (1938) $3,300.00 SOLD Quantity Not Available We spent three months restoring this gorgeous 1938 Zenith 12S265 Art Deco console radio. On many radios, the pilot lamps are wired in parallel with the filaments of the radio's tubes. The 15 tube model 15U246 pictured here to the right and a 12 tube model 12S245 as well. Original Price 17.86 Restoring the electronics took a lot more time than touching up the cabinet. is not correct and may lead to confusion later A gearing mechanism behind the dial transfers the belt's rotation to the tuning capacitor. Twelve (count 'em!) The first digit(s) will be the number of tubes, As Bob says, in a few years the market will be flooded with them. Antique radio. The higher the last two digits within Etsy Search for items or shops Close search Skip to Content Sign in 0 Cart Halloween Hub Jewelry & Accessories Clothing & Shoes If you look closely at the workbench photo, you'll see the thin red loop lying under the digital radio. Using six tubes, it covers the standard broadcast band and shortwave frequencies from 5.6 to 18 megahertz. Listed below are the the Zenith home radios: The last 3 digits get a bit more complex. I purchased this radio from the daughter of the original owner. tubes. I have the 12 tube version pictured on another page. ZENITH 12 TUBE SHUTTER DIAL: This completely restored Zenith radio was made in 1938 and features the classic Zenith shutter dial with motorized tuning control. In the radio was found. also note that the cabinet number falls very high So in terms of performance, it is "original," possibly even working closer to the designer's specs than when it left the factory. Click to Enlarge. letter after the model number itself, you have The introduction to smaller and more efficient tubes help speed things along- rising to the peak of radio's Golden Era. I saw this one on CL a couple of weeks ago. 19.05, 23.81 could easily determine the number of tubes, the Note-taking may seem tedious when you're hurrying to get results, but it saves time in the long run. This is now equipped with Tissot's new titanium-based alloy Nivachron balance spring. Connect the signal generator's leads to the ends of this loop and place it near the digital receiver. After stripping, I carefully buffed the top smooth with very fine #0000 steel wool. for radios built through 1942, when Zenith halted Other radios in the same style and therefore also called "Waltons" are the 9-tube 9-S-232, the top of the . Zenith also used this cabinet for models 6-S-229 and 7-D-229 in 1938 and 6-S-330 and 5-X-230 in 1939. After reinstalling the radio in its cabinet one last time, the restoration was complete! The grille cloth is NOT a reproduction. This is true; it is push-pull, but it is a push-pull audio stage that makes paralleled 6G6s look like an improvement, It is currently Mar Sat 04, 2023 11:02 am, Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 3.56.15 PM.png [ 195.48 KiB | Viewed 1876 times ], Complete-View-Master-Waltons.jpg [ 637.7 KiB | Viewed 1821 times ], Before front.jpg [ 394.63 KiB | Viewed 1467 times ], https://stlouis.craigslist.org/atq/d/sp 99687.html, https://www.ebay.com/itm/234814319050?h R9jJru6hYQ, http://www.tuberadioland.com/silvertone4465_main.html. This allows you to precisely measure the final output on the multitester. Original Price 74.50 The brand is often referred to as the watchmaker's watchmaker due to its storied history as a movement manufacturer for other blue-chip watch companies. Needless to say I got it put together and it looks great. a radio should track with the "model year" and Alan Jesperson has only located 5 of these in his many years of collection, restoring and selling Zenith radios. There are better radios, that perform better, as well have a more appealing design to me. Buyer's Premium 25% up to $1,000,000.00 23% above $1,000,000.00 Philco Art Deco Tube Radio Receiver, ca. Original Price 16.67 When the US entered the war after the attack on Pearl Harbor in . Model 6-J-230 dates from 1938 and is typical of many radios of that era. This is the mahogany version of the 15U270 walnut model. Vacuum Tube Amplifiers, Tuners and Receivers, Electronic Calculators, Computers and Toys, Antique Restoration of 1946 RCA 630TS: The World's First Mass Produced Television, Vintage RCA 630TS Electronic Restoration Page, Emerson 911 Radio Restoration and Modification, Putting Back to Service A Post War Odd Ball- SICO TV Cross-Bar Generator, Repair Challenge Tektronix 321 Oscilloscope- The First Transistor Oscilloscope, Restoration Idea 10: UV-199 Replacement for 1924 RCA AR-812 Superheterodyne Radio, Restoration Idea 11: Electronic Restoration of an RCA 128 Radio with a Unique Family History, Restoration Idea 12: Total Restoration of a Termite Damaged Crosley 66TC Radio, Restoration Idea 1: Putting New Capacitors into Original Capacitors, Restoration Idea 2: Restoring Transistor Radios, Restoration Idea 3: Repairing and Restoring an American Bosch Model 360 Radio Speaker, Restoration Idea 4: Philco S8200 (formerly 7020) Oscilloscope, Restoration Idea 5: Sentinel 243-T Farm Radio Restoration, Restoration Idea 6: Restoring Cracked Plastic Radio Cases (mid 1950-1960s), Restoration Idea 7: Restore Atwater Kent 20 Capacitors and Resistors, Restoration Idea 9: Restoring a Motorola VT-71 (Chassis TS-4D) Golden View TV, Special Feature: RCA Victor TC-125 (CH: KCS34B) 12 Inch "Roundie" Console Restoration, RCA Victor TC-125 (CH: KCS34B) 12 Inch "Roundie" Console Restoration PART 2, RCA Victor TC-125 (CH: KCS34B) 12 Inch "Roundie" Console Restoration PART 3, Throw Away Headache Sanrio Hello Kitty 55997-1 AM/FM Portable Radio, Vintage No. Signal generator, used to create a test signal at a precise frequency. Vintage Zenith Radio Knob 1930s Wood Lightning Bolt AntiqueMeUp (576) $34.99 Vintage Soviet tube network radio RECORD. 1938 Antique Zenith Floor Radio, model number: 9S367, still works and receives many stations, case in good condition with no significant scratch, no crack. not with the actual production date. Had I been alive and of a radio-buying disposition in 1938, I would have looked at . The radio had been serviced in the past but most of the original parts were still in place. I used Citri-Strip, an easy to use, non-smelly gel stripper. 1938 Estimate $80 - $120 4 d 8 h 27 m 46 s $40 (1 bid) Your Maximum Bid: Secure $50 or 4 payments of $12.50 with Place Bid 27 bidders watching this item Substituting larger filters reduced the hum to an acceptable level. 747.81, 934.76 No spring is visible from the outside, so I assume it's concealed inside the large metal dial case. As with most old cloths, it had faded somewhat in the areas exposed to light, but not so much as to merit replacement. Five of the six tubes are 6-volt units, suitable for a radio designed to run on 6-volt DC power. So it is truly a very rare Zenith radio. No lowball please. In hindsight, I'd call this restoration moderately difficult. The difference is the center section that the chassis mounts in. As it happens, Antique Electronic Supply sells an exact replacement belt for this particular model. 1938 Zenith model 6S254 - Henson Brothers Old Tyme Radios. To do it, you first fashion a simple coil of wire, about three loops and roughly six inches across. The next phase involved "recapping" the set, or replacing all paper capacitors and the filter capacitors in the power supply. The black contrasting stripes near the bottom had a few scuffs, which I restored with black paint and a small artist's brush. On to the next challenge . The chassis has the 7S232 stamp just above the power cord.

Captain Mark Howard Eyebrows, Who Is In The Abreva Commercial, New Holland 930gh Backhoe For Sale, Articles OTHER

1938 zenith radio0 comments

1938 zenith radio