/CA 1 >> We'll display standard charts for a classic grid look, or select "Visualize" for an enhanced visualization of the data. /GS0 10 0 R endobj Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36mm Riflescope. A few days later I shot a bull moose on the bank of a mountain river. In years gone by, when shooters want to find a cartridge with excellent ballistics, they often look at how much the bullet drops in its trajectory; however, with the popularity of laser rangefinders, the amount of drop is not nearly as important as the wind drift or wind deflection of the bullet. Newly Published base of comparison. /Type /ExtGState 18 0 obj . Recoil was cruel from that weight bullet fired by a case full of propellant. Out to 700 yards with 180 gr Accubonds. .28 NoslerThe .28 Nosler is one of the best cartridges in the world for resisting wind drift. Ultra-high velocity, magnum ammunition is how Roy Weatherby got started in the 1940s. Terminal Ascent 300 Win Magnum. Mach 2.0 (2,233 fps @ ICAO Standard Atmosphere) and Mach 1.75 (1,954 fps @ ICAO Standard Atmosphere) BC values are also available. /Domain [0 1] For large big game at the longer distances the 338 is a better choice with reloads. endobj Select Caliber: .338 winchester magnum Name Mfg Part # All Brands Caliber Style Weight (grains) .25 Winchester Super Short Magnum (WSSM), .264 Winchester Magnum, 8.59mm (.338) Lazzeroni Titan, .44 Remington Magnum (Pistol Data), .416 Rigby, 7-30 Waters, .300 Winchester Short Magnum, .338-378 Weatherby, .375 Remington Ultra Magnum, .45 Colt (often called .45 Long Colt), .460 Smith & Wesson, .356 Winchester, .338 Lapua Magnum, 7.82mm (.308) Lazzeroni Patriot, .223 Winchester Super Short Magnum (WSSM). /OP false Input your hunting conditions to see the drop, drift, bullet trajectory, velocity, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts and graphs. was only chambered in the Winchester Model 70 Alaskan. You may be surprised that bullet weight and bullet speed are not on this list. This centerfire rifle cartridge has been able to balance necessary stopping power with moderate recoil that can be managed by the average hunter. << When using similar weight and configured bullets, the .338 is pretty much the practical equivalent of the .300 in terms of trajectory and, in some cases, can be seen to be the slightly flatter round. /N 1 With an extremely long effective range, the 338 Lapua has successfully bridged the gap between 300 Win Mag and 50 BMG. . 22 0 obj A-Frame bullets. The .338 Win. Backfire LLC owns and operates this website. The case if based off of the .375 H&H Magnum by expanding the body and narrowing down the neck to fit a .338 bullet. 110 << 151. As ranges increase from there, so does the trajectory gap. The 1100 was stretching it for this cartridge. These cartridges were based off of the 375 H&H magnum brass with less taper in the body to allow for more powder. >> All rights reserved. The Maximum Point Blank Range (MPBR), which is shown in the last column of the table below, is the distance at which the bullet falls 3 inches below the line of sight. is an accurate cartridge, shown by this group fired with Swift 225-gr. Quantity: Add to cart. Since 1939, more hunters have relied on Remington Core-Lokt than any other big game ammunition, and rightly so. And a hunter desiring flat trajectory and long reach along with best bear protection can load the magazine with 300-grain bonded bullets, then carry some . /Coords [0 0 1 0] The following data was developed by my friend F.R. The cartridges are ranked by wind drift at 1,000 yards from least to most. A lot of yelling scared off the bear and he spent the restless remainder of the night in the cab of his pickup. bullets. endobj In years gone by, when shooters want to find a cartridge with excellent ballistics, they often look at how much the bullet drops in its trajectory; however, with the popularity of laser rangefinders, the amount of drop is not nearly as important as the wind drift or wind deflection of the bullet. ; inches = "; MPBR = Maximum Point Blank Range; BT = Ballistic Tip; FP = Flat Point, HP = Hollow Point; RN = Round Nose; Sp = Spitzer; SP = Spire Point; SSp = Semi-Spitzer. A couple weeks later the whitetail rut was starting. >> >> I watched deer going in and out of a long and timbered draw. I understand this is an old thread, but want to reply anyway. Your email address will not be published. The following data was taken from various sources including reloading manuals and the online Ballistics Calculator provided by BigGameInfo. Velocity was right at 2,800 f.p.s. That's a huge difference, as the 300 Win Mag is known for having heavy recoil itself. One plus was their somewhat milder recoil compared to 250-gr. The 300 Win Mag was developed by Winchester, and based entirely off of their own 338 Winchester Magnum cartridge by moving the shoulder area of the cartridge forward .156, . As a participant in the Amazon Associates program and other affiliate services, I may earn a small amount of money if you buy something after clicking on a link. xi`TE0\Uw}Mtt cD,D *8;. bullets available the first year hunting with the Ruger. *Most Accurate Load C Compressed Load 2 185-grain TSX BT Sectional Density .231 Ballistic Coefficient .352 C.O.A.L 3.310" 160-grain TTSX FB Sectional Density .200 Ballistic Coefficient .342 C.O.A.L 3.340" I want this to be the best ballistic trajectory calculator out there. /FunctionType 2 stream While environmental factors such as altitude and ambient air temperature affect trajectory, their effect is relatively minor. The rifle was my faithful companion over the ensuing seasons and always delivered hunting moose, elk, deer, black bears and even a huge grizzly. Guess it's a matter of what you want. << /Extend [true true] The ballistics coefficient is a measurement of the bullets resistance to the forces of air while in flight. /SMask /None /Resources << 7mm Remington MagnumDespite its age, the 7mm Rem Mags ballistics perform well even by todays standards. 26 0 obj vx$&ON9V$)A~!Umju+>+r?#YLDW In a 10mph wind, it drifts 0.6 at 100 yards, 5.1 at 300 yards, 14.8 at 500 yards, and 69.8 at 1,000 yards. In a 10mph full-value wind, it drifts only .3 at 100 yards, 4.2 at 300 yards, 12.3 at 500 yards, and 56.6 at 1,000 yards. Hope it helps. Mag. stream Use this ballistic calculator in order to calculate the flight path of a bullet given the shooting parameters that meet your conditions. endstream bullets to nearly the same place at 300 yards. The grizzly came out of the brush above with an intimidating swagger. Its time-proven performance has made it hunting's first choice for over 75 years. I do not know anything about factory ammo. Rifle true zero at 275 Yards. Most of the loads below are similar to popular factory loads for the selected cartridges. I handloaded those bullets in the chance a long-shot presented itself. 1492.5. We used Winchester brass and the Federal 215 primers in all the loads. After looking through Hornady's website, the 300 win mag with a 180 grain bullet comes out of the tube at 3100 fps with Hornady's Superformance Ammo, with it, comes 3900 ft lbs of energy. * Important Note * The following table averages 6 different loads for each cartridge to display a reliable average. In 1958 Winchester introduced the 338 Win Mag, the 264 Win Mag, and the 458 Win Mag. The trajectories in the table below were calculated for a maximum bullet rise of 1.5 inches above the line of sight for all small game and varmint loads, and three inches above the line of sight for all big game loads. Component bullets in .338-inch diameter currently span from 160 to 300 grains. Mar 11, 2018. It kicked a few times, but was dead before I reached it. Its casing is adapted from the 338 Win Mag, which itself is a shortened version of the 375 H&H Magnum. I eventually started shooting various 225-gr. A quick kill by the .338 on that bull certainly wasnt overkill. With the 300WM, I would go straight to the 208 a-max, or 210 something. Its good to learn to estimate wind by yourself, but itll be difficult to gain that skill without a kestrel to give you exact numbers on what you observe. /I false Javascript is required. This is unequalled in most calibers not utilized on dangerous game. Mag. h The 300WM is a serious competitor to 1000yds for game. I started hiking over, but stopped part way there when a grizzly came out of the draw. /ca 1 6.8 WesternThe 6.8 Western is a good cartridge for avoiding wind drift. Trajectory (Path of Bullet) Cartridge Name Bullet Weight Bullet Type Product Code B/C Muzzle 100 Yards . Here are the features to watch out for. I shot the 338 winchester in Alaska last year and carrying a 300 winchester this year. Opening morning of elk season I hunted with three young fellows. endobj bullets carry more energy and produce a flatter trajectory than 200-gr. /BBox [347.84 622 388 -10] >> All manner of premium bullets have been developed in the years since that hunt. Would choose the 300 if I were you. /op false Not 100 yards. >> /Length 21374 Please let me know how it can be improved upon. !Pinty scope here: https://amzn.to/3nDgNrWTruly appreciate you watching the videos!New Merch available - bit.ly/2W68GqpHeavy Metal h. Before we get too far into this topic, we need to discuss what we even mean when we talk about wind deflection or wind drift. /Filter /FlateDecode endobj In a 10mph wind, the 7mm-08 drifts on average 1 at 100 yards, 2.7 at 200 yards, 6.5 at 300 yards, and 12.5 at 400 yards. /OPM 1 If I had a 338WM, I would go with the 225 and even the 250's. Standing while shooting from a bench allowed my shoulder to somewhat roll with the punch. It in no way increases the amount you pay and helps us stay in business. /Subtype /Form At this distance, the .308 Win is out of the game and the .300 WinMag is still good for medium game. /FunctionType 2 _____ There are those who would misteach us that to stick in a rut is consistency - and a virtue, and that to climb out of the rut is inconsistency - and a vice. Stuff the .300 with about 73 grains of IMR 4831 powder, and it should kick that bullet out at 3,150 fps. /op false .338 Win Mag Trajectory shooterscalculator.com free .340 Weatherby Magnum 265 grains, 2725 fps, .778 BC. Notify Me When Available. This next 338 Win Mag ballistics chart shows 225 grain Hornady SST Superformance rounds. 6.5 PRCThe 6.5 PRC is one of the best rifle cartridges for avoiding wind deflection. 21 0 obj 24 0 obj 25 0 obj The ballistic performances based off of four grain type muzzle velocities are 2,950 ft/s (200 gr), 2,800 ft/s (225 gr), 2,655 ft/s (250 gr), and 2,489 ft/s (275 gr). /Domain [0 1] Unlike the.338 Lapua, the.338 Win Mag is capable of being chambered in some of the most popular bolt action and semi auto hunting rifles out there. << 1249.6. /OP true /Functions [16 0 R 17 0 R] I took a seat with a wide view in hopes a spooked elk might run past.The .338 Win. Introduced in 1958, the .338 Win. /C1 [49.0196 20 41] He is a well-known entrepreneur, having started many successful online brands, and lives in St George, Utah. The minimum amount of IMR 4350 propellant, listed in the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, loaded with Hornady 225-gr.

Duplex For Rent Sterling, Il, Average Snowfall In New Jersey, Articles OTHER

338 win mag bullet drop0 comments

338 win mag bullet drop