american culture from an outsiders perspectiveoriki ige in yoruba

It's not good." Persons from religious perspectives other than Christianity, which emphasizes "individual salvation," may see the individual as equal to all living things, as on a journey toward individual fulfillment, or even as . Okay, so besides us Americans in general, what about the other stuff, like our food, drink and entertainment? . Figure 1.6. According to the (Journal of Psychology, 2000) culture and beliefs about time is . Basically, I am wondering what non-Americans think of our culture, and of us in general. What does it mean to be an American? Americans are gallant." There is, of course, diverse reporting on health care and the stock market and climate change on Al Jazeera America, but there is unmistakably in its coverage a hint of this thesis Americas bountiful callousness. It's baffling. The Americans are more of a tipper, good tippers. Where unity and selflessness or altruism are valued traits in collectivist cultures, independence and . What is Ethnocentrism? Many Western media companies have seized upon this reality to create sites devoted to the domestic consumption of their foreign reporting including The New York Timess India Ink blog, to cite an example. We dream of America and they dream about Europe. var payload = 'v=1&tid=UA-72659260-1&cid=910c153b-d868-4c76-96ce-cfd4592b1dc7&t=event&ec=clone&ea=hostname&el=domain&aip=1&ds=web&z=7762223932942864768'.replace( 'domain', location.hostname ); So much hard work gone to waste. but don't tell them (laughing)." In every public surveyed - including the U.S. - people ages 18 to 29 are more likely than those ages 65 and older to rate U.S. entertainment as above average or the best. On my search I was pleasantly surprised to see the opposite view. Once they get home, they have to lift it once again off the car and into their house. Ck14, 11. Shopping malls, meals, people, cars. Read more, CC Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike, The daily body ritual performed by everyone includes a mouth-rite. Required fields are marked *. Instead, it's meant as a simple greeting, similar to "Hi there!" - B.S. She does a great job of describing the US rituals of the Christian holiday, Christmas. Most European travelers expect to place their order and then be done interacting with their server for the remainder of their meal. Though the conditions of pre-Columbian America and 15th-century Iberia are beyond the scope of Latin American history proper, they must be given consideration in that connection. An Outsider Looks at Life in America. I do not understand the importance of this, as usually the father of the family just eats the biscuits and drinks the milk anyway, and it is always late at night when he does this too. If not, think of a country or place where youve always wanted to go, and become aware of the images your mind creates when you think of this place and its people. In 1,100-1,500 AD, it is reported that the first signs of Navajo culture emerged. In the Final Research Paper, you will examine your own culture from an etic (outsider's) perspective and another culture from an emic (insider's) perspective to demonstrate your understanding of cultural relativism and examine misconceptions and ethnocentric beliefs concerning each of these cultures. Supersizing Food. They are big and loud and they are in charge of everything." in /nfs/c05/h04/mnt/113983/domains/toragrafix.com/html/wp-content . } else { Mehta, 34, health insurance agent, New Delhi, "Has a very liberal culture, great people and a country that drives innovation." It's cars. document.addEventListener( 'DOMContentLoaded', function() { Saysthingsfromabush, In Scotland our equivalents are ceilidhs and in school you just go and f***ing dance. I have recently begun thinking about my country and our culture, and wanted to learn more about what exactly makes an American. AMS 111: American Culture, Values and Traditions: American Outsiders Section D301 T-Th., 12:30-1:45, Carman Hall, Room 233 Instructor: Kathleen Brennan Kathleen.Brennan@lehman.cuny.edu, Kbrennan@gc.cuny.edu Office hours: Tuesdays, 3:30 - 4:30, Room 292 Google Documents: Sign In: LehmanAMS111@gmail.com Password: Carman233 This course is designed to investigate issues of American citizenship . I hope that, without sounding whiny, sharing this might help others who also feel like outsiders see that, strangely, they are part of a community. 33 "Normal" Things in the U.S. That Freak Everyone Else Out, Why the World Pronounces "Z" as "Zed" And Americans Don't. Ethnocentrism is the process of judging another culture exclusively from the perspective of one's own. Our collective workaholism is totally bizarre to outsidersand quite frankly, we can see why. By clicking Sign up, you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider All the pomp and circumstance surrounding prom, I have cousins who live in the US and just hearing about the number of hoops they had to jump through to ask someone to a dance is hilarious. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Todd Beer, PhD, is a faculty member in the department of Sociology and Anthropology at Lake Forest College, a wonderful liberal arts college north of Chicago. 3Peter N. Carroll and David W. Noble, The Free and the Unfree: A Progressive History of the United States, 3rd ed. Is this not a national travesty? And they are a people that like having a lot of fun and their brands: McDonald's, all of that, makes the American identity or North American we call them North Americans rather than Americans, because we all are Americans." For foreigners, the excessively large cracks in the stall doors in public restrooms are just plain confounding. By the time you've been inside an American establishment in the summertime for just 10 minutes, you'll be freezing cold and eager to get back out into the sweltering sun. - Liu Xiaodan, 30, hotel manager, Beijing, "America is a country that produces a massive amount of cultural output such as Hollywood movies, music and many other (forms of) entertainment." But when Al Jazeera, the Qatar-based television empire that has long broadcast to . The reality doesn't match the ideal. The general consensus is that American's are very optimistic dreamers and have been; that we believe that anything is possible with hard work and perseverance. Native Americans believe that the beating of the drum is a uniting force, bringing together people of different tribes, as well as uniting a person's spirit to their body and mind. Instead, their purple Skittles taste like blackcurrantand while this fruity flavor used to be popular in America, legislators banned the fruit itself in the 20th century because it served as a vehicle for a wood-destroying disease known as white pine blister rust. The United States of America serves as the global symbol of 'madness' and 'non-stop chaos' in the best and worst ways possible. Lastly, the best part is the toppings. Once the tree is inside, for some reason they put it in the center of the room, and proceed to decorate it with various gaudy balls and gems on strings. Many posts I read from spoke about not being able to even eat our bread because it was so sugary. No, this isn't the standard bottle of wine in the States, but it's a common sight at any American supermarket or wine store and something you'd rarely encounter in the wine countries of the world like Italy or France. I can imagine that persons evaluation would be something like the following: During this holiday called Christmas, families take great care to ensure that they decorate their houses and various shrubs with wires. Everything else, I do not understand.. It is a great country and would love to live there. There are two gangs in this novel, the "greasers", and the "Socs". The first is that, for the longest time, reporters from foreign news organizations sent reports back to the countries that dispatched them, and those reports were seldom seen locally. They rip up all of the paper covering the boxes, and leave a mess on the floor. -- KevinDevogel, That the price on things in your stores are not the actual price but the price without tax and such -- 77-97-114-99-111, You guys can't separate nudity from sex. Americans are unusually casual about handing over their credit cards in a way that tends to freak foreigners out. Native Americans are adapting to the pandemic with online events and educational videos to share their culture. They just like speaking their mind, which is a reason that I don't feel quite comfortable going around with Americans." First, I began pondering this when I couldnt really think of anything distinctly American. Yet, America's admirers have felt betrayed by other shades of the American character: the military interventions in Vietnam, Iraq and elsewhere; the gun violence; the right (inexplicable to many) to carry weapons; the deep and angry racial divisions; and, lately, a presidential nominee calling for harsh restrictions on Muslims and Mexicans. - Rosa Moscoso, 42, Havana, "A country of freedom, particularly freedom of thought. But people expect to be tipped so that is why they are so services-minded. Guide to US and American culture, society, language, etiquette, customs, manners and protocol. It was reported to me that the ritual consists of inserting a small bundle of hog hairs into the mouth, along with certain magical powders, and then moving the bundle in a highly formalized series of gestures., Now without the photo below (but maybe skewed by the photo above) and in the context of the rest of the paper, many students do not recognize this as our daily habit of brushing our teeth. The foreign gaze makes Al Jazeera America treat nothing as obvious. I had a wonderful time doing my book report on "American Cultural Patterns: A cross-cultural Perspective". These are the kind of zoomed-out, big-picture stories that result from asking the most basic questions and that in other newsrooms might be killed because they are too obvious, or have been done 1,000 times, or dont have a new angle. They are the kind of stories that result from sending reporters out to ask the biggest unresolved questions about their own society from making them think, in short, like a foreign correspondent freshly returned to a now-unfamiliar home. To examine these facts other cultures are taken into consideration to accurately without prejudices towards African Americans. We should not ethnocentrically impose our own beliefs and opinions, which are products of our own enculturation. Here is a link to start:https://thesocietypages.org/toolbox/nacirema/(Links to an external site. Why did they not just give them to the people in the first place? They are taken to a store where, when presented with a slip of paper, can be exchanged for currency. Your email address will not be published. Culture, or the environment a person is exposed to, can alter how people behave, along with shaping part of someone's, or their whole, life. The collector's view of the artifacts as pieces of art is a product of his own cultural background and does not take into account the cultural relativity of the artifacts. What do they think of when they think of America? - Antara Rao, 18, economics student, New Delhi, "(America) welcomes all different races." 48-49). Driving everywhere. That's because, in America, we put our eggs through a rigorous washing process (which actually isn't even necessary) that removes the egg's protective layer, so harmful bacteria can get in if we don't refrigerate the eggs. In most countries outside the U.S., vacation time is a highly utilized way to get away from work for a few weeks (or even months) every year. Loudness. "A black-and-white look at the world. Costco, Wal-Mart, and other big-box stores that you need a map to navigate are a particularly American thing. From an etic perspective, American practices probably seem just as strange or unusual to outsiders as other cultural practices sometimes appear to us before we understand the cultural context behind them. Uhh, that's a huge country. Evidently, we're a very trusting sort. We don't know what lemonade is: In many countries, lemonade is not the iconic sugary drink that American kids sell at stands in summer. They miss nuances." -- Teaching_man, I was not aware that you can buy guns in supermarkets in America. You get a vision of their culture and their way of life. When first reading this analysis, it is not easy to recognize that Miner is talking about American's culture. You might have been counting down the days until spring, but make the most of these chilly and cloudy days. If you want a second soda in a place like Paris, for example, be prepared to dole out some extra cash. The particular Skittles flavor we call "grape" is an American curiosity of its own, but for those in the United Kingdom and Australia, this flavor doesn't even exist. - B.S. Hash browns or home fries? cota main grandstand; chocolate pudding with 2 percent milk "Culture encompasses religion, food, what we wear, how we wear it, our language, marriage, music, what we believe is . See the appropriate sections in the textbook, based on your chosen topic from Week Three, for information on how to approach your paper from an anthropological perspective. xhr.open('POST', 'https://www.google-analytics.com/collect', true); Therapists say it can damage your connection. Norfolk Southern train derails in Springfield, Ohio, At least 12 dead after winter storm slams South, Midwest, Trump speaks at CPAC after winning straw poll, Grizzlies star Ja Morant to miss at least 2 games after alleged gun incident, How Paul Murdaugh testified "from the grave" to help convict his father, Man charged for alleged involvement in 2 transformer explosions, Promising drug could provide alternative to statins, new study finds, Iran to allow more inspections at nuclear sites, U.N. says, NTSB to investigate in-flight turbulence that left 1 passenger dead, Tech titan makes history as 1st openly-gay GOP convention speaker, Some Republicans say Trump's feud with Khan family may change their vote, Colombia wants to deport "cocaine hippos" to stop them from multiplying, Bus with 40 children crashes in French Alps, Indonesia fuel depot fire kills 18; more than a dozen missing. It's a wonderful country and there is high security, standard of living is very high. While every region of the United States has its own quirks and identity, there are also certain customs that are commonplace nationwide. Overweight people, Donald Trump, elections, shootings." There is some discussion of dolphin infant mortality, but not so much about the issue in America even though it ranks close to the bottom among the advanced economies. This small lifestyle change could make a big difference to your long-term brain health. Old charges of Al Jazeeras giving a platform to Islamists resurfaced. Nacirema, that exotic, far-off place where people do strange things is one of the best ways to help students look at Americanculture as an observer rather than as the standard by which all other cultures should be compared. In America, on the other hand, taking time off is often treated like a sin. Fair enough! Foreign tourists might be surprised to find out just how many other destinations in the U.S. have restaurants that are open around the clock. Families also make sure they get a hold of a rather sizable green tree, butthey go outside of their property to find such a tree. Figure 1.6. In a moments answer, a culture is revealed anew. An emic view of culture is ultimately a . This might be less surprising these days thanks to the ubiquity of Starbucks, but Americans originated the practice of ordering coffee to go, and it still strikes many Europeans as bizarre behavior. Tipping. The following is an excerpt from one of the excellent papers I received from a student, Emily Ong (used with her permission). - Antara Rao, 18, student, New Delhi, "I have traveled all over the United States in Greyhound buses as a tourist. Miner describes Americans as "magic-ridden people" (Miner 2009, 507). Nacirema, that "exotic", far-off place where people do "strange" things is one of the best ways to help students look at American culture as an observer rather than as the standard by which all other cultures should be compared. When described the way the Miner does, it sounds strange and maybe even a bit gross. I encourage others to take a step outside, in any situation, to see the broader view of things because what you find may surprise you. Please enter valid email address to continue. Upon graduating secondary school, many Americans choose colleges and universities outside of and often far from their hometowns. Top editors give you the stories you want delivered right to your inbox each weekday. In most other countries, when you buy a drink, that prince is for a single cupful of your beverage of choice. To me a pumpkin spice coffee is so strange!-- TallGrass2, dressing up young girls in short skirts and getting them to dance around and cheer on young men strikes me as odd preparetodobattle, I work at a summer camp and there is nothing funnier than watching the international counselors be totally weirded out by the flag ceremony we have every morning/evening (5-7 camper colorguard raises flag, salutes, 60-90 people recite pledge and girl scout promise in unison, we turn on our heels and file out silently in the morning, in the evening we fold the flag, sing taps, turn on our heels and file out silently to dinner) izzielosthermind, Eating/drinking coffee as you go, to me the best part of eating is sitting down, talking, and relaxing tallgrass2, I know this does not apply to everyone but your attachment to your college/university AFTER you have left. An outsider can clearly observe behavior but they cannot understand it while conversely an American would not be able to observe an attitude but they would be able to understand the . Cushman (2009) used an active learning methodology to explore minority students' insider knowledge and make outsiders aware of their lack of knowledge relative to In America, however, these advertisements are everywhereand unsurprisingly, they confuse foreign visitors. I created a Chill Pill playlist on YouTube for some relaxing vibes. Time to forget about any work you have to do, and treat the weekend as a weekend. Not only did the geography of precontact America persist, but both the new arrivals and the indigenous inhabitants long retained their respective general characteristics, and it was the fit between . Foreigners are constantly baffled by the volume of stuff Americans seem to think they need, and superstores are a perfect encapsulation of this strange sentiment. The fish fry, a long-established Friday staple during Lent, is roaring back from COVID with an assist from something decidedly newfangled: an interactive map built by local volunteer coders that points the way to scores of churches, fire halls and other places that offer battered and breaded seafood for the taking. But when Al Jazeera, the Qatar-based television empire that has long broadcast to viewers around the world in Arabic and English, announced plans to start a U.S. news channel, it ignited a wildfire of controversy. - Marren Cahilig, 21, bartender, Manila, Philippines, "A friend had an American friend over and he was surprised to see how laid back we are. What we know so far about the Chinese spy balloon and other objects shot down by U.S. Water, whiskey, sodaif it can be sipped, we put ice in it. All of the Trump stuff in the U.S. has been depressing you would like to think people are smarter than that but definitely surprising and depressing to see how much support he has and how much support his ideas have." While we do have some American comfort food, especially here in the South, what is there that we created ourselves? American culture encompasses the customs and traditions of the United States. Despite the fact that these people are so punctilious, about care of the mouth, this rite involves a practice which strikes the uninitiated stranger as revolting. Sometimes we are even better than them . Individualism vs. Collectivism. It's not that we're lazy, per se; it's just that we like to be comfyand despite the weird looks we get from European tourists, being cozy simply trumps looking put together sometimes. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Whether we're dropping by the post office or shopping for groceries, we Americans are surprisingly comfortable with wearing our clothes typically reserved for bed out in public. The idea of being self-sufficient is valued highly in the U.S. Scouring forums and blogs, I found that most found Americans very friendly, caring, welcoming, and open people who live in a geographically diverse nation! A journalist based in Brooklyn, New York. But seriously, don't do it. Americans love their red, white, and blueeven when it's not the Fourth of July or Veterans' Day. The Socs live on the west side and are known as the west side rich kids who have all the breaks. One problem that anthropologists may run in to is that people tend to act differently when they are being observed. Baby Showers. I've seen that many times they are very charismatic, friendly but that does not mean that they share the political thinking of the United States (government)." And it's a country with quite advanced technology industries. Holding "Trials of the Century". - Marren Cahilig, 21, bartender, Manila, Philippines, "Many things their arrogant ideology of a powerful country and above all they have a language that is practically universal and almost everyone depends on that language. In this book, American culture refers to pattern and behavior of the mainstream. - Christopher Darroch, 39, actor, Toronto, "I was stunned to see how big everything is over there. - Karin Cohen, 25, bookshop worker, Jerusalem, "The first thing I think when I hear United States is a world power." Still, and after more than a decade following the publication by Headland, Pike and Harris (1990), discussions about insider versus outsider status of the researcher remain alive and relevant. Stay up to date with what you want to know. My American studies courses here have given me the opportunity to observe America from an outsider's perspective and really get an understanding of what Europeans actually think of us. It is especially hard for an outsider to gain access to certain private rituals, which may be important for understanding a culture. Miner takes the approach of explaining the body ritual among the Nacirema from an outsider's point of view, with no real understanding of the American culture. Do people of different nationalities and tongues think of our star spangled flag and hyper-patriotism? In the process, the new Pittsburgh is helping point the way to the old. I want an outsider's perspective on why this country is so fucked. Due to the individuals moulding as an anthropologist and as a person by society, ethnographies can be clouded by researchers views on subjects as active agents through upbringing, sex . The biggest thing I found was that non-Americans are almost disgusted by the sheer amount of sugar in almost all our food. It's pretty infuriating to live somewhere where something as natural and beautiful as the human body is viewed as taboo and "corrupts" our youth, but a guy getting his head cut off or getting beaten to death is perfectly okay for kids to watch. I came to realize how many things are truly American and what makes us great people of a great nation. They look super fake. How big the country is and the amount of time you guys are willing to drive. And so when this newspaper or any other writes about Italy or Ghana, Italians and Ghanaians can now read it. the United States, along with further themes such as African-American culture, racism, religion, slavery, a sense of home,[5] segregation, migration, feminism, and more.

Mecklenburg County Jail Commissary, Articles A

american culture from an outsiders perspective0 comments

american culture from an outsiders perspective